Salvia Substance Abuse Overview
What is Salvia?
Salvia divinorum is a perennial herb in the mint family native to certain areas of the Sierra Mazateca region of Oaxaca, Mexico. The plant, which can grow to over three feet in height, has large green leaves, hollow square stems and white flowers with purple Calyces, The active constituent of Salvia Divinorum has been identified as Salvinorin A. Currently, neither Salvia Divinorum nor any of its constituents, including salvinorin A, are controlled under the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA). However, the abuse of Salvia Divinorum is gaining popularity in the United States, particulary by adolescents and young adults.
- Maria Pastora
- Sage of the Seers
- Diviner’s Sage
- Magic Mint
Short Term Effects
A limited number of studies have reported the effects of using either plant material or Salvinorin A. Psychic effects include:
- Perceptions of bright lights, vivid colors and shapes
- Body movements and body or object distortions.
- Uncontrolled laughter
- An outer-body experience
- Slurred speech
Due to the hallucinogenic effects there is a substantial risk of injury or death as a result of impaired judgment due to disruptions of sensory and cognitive functions.
- It is estimated that of all Americans 12 years old or older, about 1.8 million have used salvia divinorum in their lifetime.
- It is estimated that of all Americans 12 years old or older, about 75,000 have used salvia divinorum in the past year.
- Young adults also were nearly 3 times more likely than youths aged 12 to 17 to have used salvia divinorum in the past year.
- Males were about 3 to 4 times more likely than females to have used salvia divinorum in the past year.
For all treatment needs and levels of care, Inspirations’ employs a team of qualified and caring teen addiction treatment professionals, offering a Treatment Program for Adolescents/Teens, who are demonstrating destructive, rebellious, and defiant behaviors resulting in personal and family dysfunction. Our goal in teen addiction treatment is to treat the disease, build the teen’s self confidence and reunite the family. Our teen prescription drug addiction treatment programs are designed around a positive environment to boost the teens self-esteem and produce long term results.
The teen addiction treatment combines a motivational program with the “accountability” concept, emphasizing, respect for family, respect for others, and a teamwork approach towards daily goals and accomplishments. During your teens enrollment to our Teen Prescription Addiction Treatment Center we will tailor a personal educational plan for your teenager. Inspirations for Youth and Families offer an “On-Site” Preparatory format school program in order for our teens to maintain High School Credits.