This is an ongoing series about the warning signs of teen suicide warning signs.
The warning signs for teen suicide are serious calls for help that are important to take note of. Many teenagers share their thoughts and feelings in a desperate attempt to be acknowledged. In many cases, they don’t know how to properly deal with their feelings and problems and are looking for someone to assist them.
Studies show that four out of five teen suicide attempts have been preceded by clear warning signs. It is critical to make sure you don’t overlook them. With many pressures and a variety of emotional, social and family issues to confront, many teenagers find themselves having suicidal thoughts. A part of preventing a teen suicide is being involved in your teen’s life and watching for the suicidal warning signs. It’s also important to note that many of the “signs” are also indications of depression or other mental illnesses.
Warning Signs of Suicide
- Saying “I want to kill myself” or “I wish I were dead”
- Verbal hints: “I want you to know something in case something happens to me” or “I won’t trouble you anymore”
- Searching online for ways to kill themselves
- Talking about having no reason to live
- Abusing/using alcohol or drugs
- Acting agitated or anxious
- Behaving recklessly
- Talking about feeling trapped or of being in unbearable pain
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Talking about being a burden or trouble to others
- Speaking about getting even or revenge
- Pulling away from family and friends and feeling isolated
- Showing extreme mood swings – cheerfulness following periods of depression
- Giving things away, such as prized possessions
A suicidal person urgently needs to see a doctor or mental health professional. If you are suicidal or you think someone you know is, we want you to know that help is available and recovery is possible! Start by learning the warning signs above, and do whatever you can to get yourself or someone you know the help they need.
In an emergency, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline